• Local Plan - Inspector sessions commence 21st September

    Local Plan - Inspector sessions commence 21st September

  • Vacancy for a Parish Councillor

    Vacancy for a Parish Councillor

  • Football Pitch available to rent

    Football Pitch available to rent

  • New Play Equipment at Gobions

    New Play Equipment at Gobions

  • New Play Equipment at Gobions

    New Play Equipment at Gobions

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Civic Parish Councils, which were set up in 1894 by an Act of Parliament introduced by the then Prime Minister, William Ewart Gladstone are regarded as being the “grass roots’ of democracy and local government. The first Parish Meeting in North Mymms was held on 4th December 1894 and the first actual Parish Council Meeting was on 2nd January 1895 under the provisional chairmanship of Samuel Gurney Sheppard Esquire. At the next meeting, on 26th February 1895, Archibald Thompson Esquire JP of Mimmwood took over the chairmanship. He continued as Chairman until 1907 when Admiral Sir J Fellowes KCB of Roestock Manor took over until 1913. Chairmen are now retired automatically on a yearly basis.

The first ‘lady’ Chairman was Councillor Mrs Pat Storey in 1979-80.

North Mymms parish is one of the largest in Hertfordshire, its main source of income is a precept which is part of your Council Tax. Other income is derived from hiring out the bowling green, football field etc.

Parish councils have legal powers as defined in various Acts, but they have fewer duties than district councils and greater freedom to choose what actions to take. They represent the interests of the local communities and seek to improve the quality of life and local environment, influencing decisions and delivering services to meet local needs.

North Mymms covers 1892.77 hectares and in the 2011 census the number of ‘usual residents’ was 8921.

North Mymms parish includes Brookmans Park, Welham Green, Bell Bar, Water End, Bullens Green, Marshmoor, North Mymms Park and Church and part of Little Heath. The full council usually meets at 7.30pm on the last Wednesday of each month except August and December. All meetings are open to the public.

At least one councillor represents NMPC on various committees such as the North Mymms Memorial Hall committee.

NMPC employs a part-time Clerk, a part-time Bookkeeper, and three Groundsmen. The Groundsmen tend the three recreation grounds at Hawkshead Road Little Heath, Gobions Open Space and Dellsome Lane, Welham Green. The latter includes a bowling green, football pitch and the Burns Pavilion, and all three contain children’s play areas and the village green at Brookmans Park. The council owns these areas of land together with some allotments, two bungalows (for staff accommodation) and the council office, all at Welham Green. The council also tends around the War Memorial, the Brookmans Park and Welham Green greens.